Tuesday 22 March 2016

BASQUE POETRY: MY FATHER'S HOUSE

MY FATHER’S HOUSE(NIRE AITAREN ETXEA)Gabriel Aresti, 1963

I shall defend    
The house of my father.
Against wolves,
Against drought,
Against usury,
Against the Justice,
I shall defend
The house
of my father.
I shall lose
cattle,
orchards,



and pinewoods;
I shall lose
Interests,
Income,
And dividends,
But I shall defend the house of my father.
They will take away my weapons
And with my hands I shall defend
The house of my father;
They will cut off my hands
And with my arms I shall defend
The house of my father;
They will leave me
Without arms,
Without shoulders,
And without breasts,
And with my soul I shall defend
The house of my father.
I shall die,
My soul will be lost,
My descendence will be lost,
But the house of my father
Will remain
Standing.
(Translation: Toni Strubell)

http://www.basquepoetry.eus/?i=poemak-en&b=1427
BASQUE AND POETRY: the baserri

No comments:

Post a Comment

BRITISH CULTURE

https://create.kahoot.it/share/duplicate-of-british-culture/0924078c-d2ba-441b-8609-a5925e4368e1 Capitals, nation, etc.GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...